GET Your Number & Personalized Meal Plan

VITAL Health Solutions has YOUR number–your number to better control of your weight and your health.  YOUR number is unique and obtained with the state-of-the-art, MedGem® Metabolic Analysis device.  You may have even seen this device used on the TV show, “Biggest Loser.”

Getting Your Number & A Personalized Meal Plan (and measuring your body composition) is an important element of care. The MedGem® metabolic analysis will provide us your unique number that you need to fuel your body, so that the best personalized meal plan can be designed for you.


What is the MedGem®?

MedGem® is an indirect calorimeter–an innovative portable, handheld device that measures oxygen consumption and determines your RMR (see below for explanation).  You are unique, and to better estimate your caloric requirements, this number improves your chances for successful weight loss, compared to using a mathematical estimate formula.

What do you have to do?

This is a simple and painless 10-15 minute procedure.  You simply seal your mouth around the MedGem® mouthpiece, and breath in and out (as usual).

What do you do to prepare for the test for the most reliable results?

  • Rest for 10-15 minutes prior to the test
  • Do not eat for at least 4 hours before the test
  • Do not exercise for at least 4 hours prior to the test (unless this is your norm)
  • Do not drink caffeinated beverages for at least 3 hours before the test
  • Do not consume nutritional supplements or medications containing ephedra, Ma Huang, or pseudoephedrine for at least 2 hours before the test
  • Do not use nicotine for at least one hour before the test

What is metabolism and RMR?

Metabolism is the biochemical process of combining nutrients with oxygen to release the energy needed to function.

Metabolism is measured in kcal or calories per day.  The kcal/day number represents the resting metabolic rate (RMR) or the number of calories the body burns each day at rest, and the amount your body needs for vital body functions, such as circulation, brain function, breathing, and temperature control.

Why measure RMR?

Energy Balance Equation:  balancing the calories consumed with calories burned

  • You wouldn’t try and balance your checkbook without tracking your deposits and withdrawals, so unless you really know how many calories your body burns, you’ll never know how to manage for success.
  • RMR (resting metabolic rate) can account for up to 75% of the calories burned each day (your body needs a lot of calories just to function).  The remaining 25% is influenced by lifestyle and exercise.
  • Metabolism is unique to each individual and a one-size fits-all approach does not work for everyone.  You can follow the same diet and exercise plan as someone else, but see dramatically different results.
  • Knowing your unique metabolism allows you to establish a calorie budget that will work for you.  In addition, it is also important to know that your metabolism can change, sometimes significantly, as you lose weight.
  • Having your metabolism measured throughout your weight management program will help you reach your goals without hitting frustrating plateaus.
  • In addition, several factors can cause a change over time in your metabolism, other than weight loss or gain, such as a change in body composition, and/or exercise program, age, hormones, stress and medications.  Therefore, this is an EXTREMELY important number to measure and monitor often.

Be sure to find out why you should have this simple & inexpensive procedure at the same time!

Summary of Preparation Guidelines