I would like to dedicate this amazing healthy dish to all of you young moms (and dads) out there who are attempting to teach your daughters (and sons) how to cook. When I was raising my daughters, Shannon and Heather and teaching them the ways around the kitchen and about good nutrition, it didn’t seem to be a priority for them to listen and learn about what I had to offer. Especially during the teenage years, of course, they wanted to be anywhere but in the kitchen with mom. I must say that I was very disappointed that they didn’t have a desire to learn about cooking. After awhile, I gave up and felt defeated.
Well, low and behold, I should know not to ever give up! Now that they have both settled down and married, it seems that they just may have been listening and watching me after all (or maybe it was the professional culinary chefs who Shannon was watching during her many years working in some of the finest New York City restaurants).
In any case, I am proud to present this healthy low carbohydrate recipe that my daughter, Shannon, expertly prepared and proudly photographed. I am beyond thrilled to share it with you! So for all you moms and dads out there— don’t despair! Keep teaching your children the benefits of eating and cooking healthy, and teaching by example. They really are listening, and one day it will all payoff!
Ingredients for Ravioli: Ingredients for Cauli-Alfredo Sauce:
5 medium summer squash, fresh 1 head medium cauliflower, fresh
1 tablespoon olive oil 2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pound ground chicken 1 shallot, fresh
5 ounce package of fresh spinach 1 cup chicken broth
8 ounces Mascarpone cheese 3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 yellow onion, chopped 1/4 cup coconut milk, canned
1 clove garlic, chopped 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt/pepper to taste salt/pepper to taste
basil leaves, fresh for garnish
cherry tomatoes for garnish
Parmesan cheese, shredded, for garnish
Directions for Cauli-Alfredo Sauce:
1. Steam cauliflower until fork-tender.
2. While cauliflower steams, heat olive oil over medium low heat in a small pot. Add shallots and saute for a few minutes, then add chicken broth and heat through.
3. Add cauliflower, shallot/broth mixture, and remaining ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more coconut milk if needed.
Directions for Ravioli:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut ends of squash off and slice down the middle so you have two halves. Using the narrowest setting on your mandolin slicer, slice the squash into long, flat strips. You’ll end with around 70 or so strips.
3. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and saute for about 5 minutes, until nearly translucent. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
4. Add ground chicken to onion and garlic and saute until chicken is cooked all the way through.
5. Add the spinach and let it cook down, and then drain.
6. Add chicken, spinach, salt, pepper, and the Mascarpone cheese to a food processor or blender and puree until mixture reaches desired consistency.
7. Assemble the ravioli by just barely overlapping two strips of squash. Do the same over the middle of the first two strips, but perpendicular, creating a cross or “T” shape.
8. Spoon filling in the center of the cross, then bring the ends of the strips together, overlapping each other.
9. Secure each ravioli with a toothpick and place in a baking dish.
10. Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
11. Top each serving with approximately 1/3 cup Cauli-Alfredo sauce and garnish with 1 T Parmesan cheese, fresh basil leaves and cherry tomatoes.
Serves 6 (approximately 4 ravioli each)
Nutrient Content Per Serving:
Total Fat: 33 grams
Saturated Fat: 16 grams
Cholesterol: 148 grams
Sodium: 250 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 16 grams
Dietary Fiber: 4.2 grams
Protein: 28 grams
Recipe adapted from: CupcakesOMG blog