Who ever said people with diabetes or people trying to manage their weight could not eat pizza? I couldn’t resist posting this amazingly delicious, low carbohydrate, gluten-free, high fiber, nutrient powerhouse pizza and comparing its nutrient contents to two store-bought pizzas (one so-called “healthy” and the other not-so healthy).
People with diabetes—you will never believe those normal blood glucose readings after indulging in this culinary treat, and your body and brain will thank you for the “phytonutrient” health bath. And for those of you trying to lose weight, this recipe will fill you up, but not out!
I would like to give credit to Megan at: https://detoxinista.com for her “Cauliflower Pizza Crust” recipe.
Also, please don’t miss my explanation of the nutrient comparison to store-bought pizza, way down below.
Here’s the recipe and nutrient content for the crust:
Cauliflower Pizza Crust:
1 medium head cauliflower (4 cups raw cauliflower rice)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup soft goat cheese (chèvre)
1 tsp, dried oregano
pinch of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. Pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.
3. Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the cauliflower “rice” and cover for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine mesh strainer.
4. SECRET STEP: Once you have strained the “rice,” transfer it to a thin dish towel. Wrap up the steamed “rice” in the dish towel, twist it up, then SQUEEZE all of the excess moisture out. You will be amazed at how much extra liquid will be released, which if left in would result in an undesirable soggy pizza crust.
5. In a large bowl, mix up the strained “rice,” beaten egg, goat cheese, and spices. Use your hands to mix well. It will be unlike any pizza dough you have worked with, but it will hold together.
6. Press the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (not wax paper), so that it will not stick. Keep the dough about 1/3 inch thick, and make the edges a little higher, for a crust effect.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400°F. The crust should be firm and golden brown when finished.
8. Now is the time to add your favorite sauce, cheese and toppings. Return the pizza to the 400°F oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
9. Slice and serve immediately.
Note: This crust freezes nicely, therefore, make at least two at a time, and freeze what you don’t use immediately. Wrap the extra pizza crust in foil and freeze.
Here’s how my crusts turned out:
I actually froze both of my crusts the day I baked them, and topped them both a week later. I baked one and put the other topped one back in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts for Cauliflower Pizza Crust only:
Serving Size: 1/2 Crust (90 g); Total Servings: 2; Calories Per Serving: 210.5; Fat Calories: 96.7; Total Fat: 11 grams; Saturated Fat: 6.3 grams; Cholesterol 120.5 mg; Sodium: 336 mg; Total Carbs: 15.8 grams; Dietary Fiber: 6.3 grams; Protein: 15.8 grams
NOW, with the TOPPING:
Eggplant, Artichoke, Goat Cheese Pizza Topping:
1/2 cup tomato sauce, no added salt or sugar
4 ounces soft goat cheese (chèvre)
1/2 unpeeled, fresh eggplant slices
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 pieces artichoke hearts (in water)
4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped scallions
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1. Slice eggplant thinly and brush with the olive oil to both sides and roast to desired doneness. You can pre-roast earlier during the week and save in the refrigerator, or immediately before assembling pizza.
2. Make “Cauliflower Pizza Crust” per directions above, or remove previously prepared crust from freezer.
3. Spread tomato sauce over crust and top with fresh chopped basil and chopped scallions. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper.
4. Drop goat cheese pieces evenly on top of tomato sauce.
5. Top with eggplant slices and artichoke.
6. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes.
7. Cut into 4 even pieces. For crisper crust, bake longer for desired crispness.
Here are my pizzas topped (uncooked):
Nutrition Facts for Whole Pizza with Topping + Crust:
Serving Size: 1/2 Pizza (388 g); Total Servings: 2; Calories Per Serving: 498; Fat Calories: 192; Total Fat: 30 grams; Saturated Fat: 15.5 grams; Cholesterol 146.6 mg; Sodium: 725 mg; Total Carbs: 32.7 grams; Dietary Fiber: 13 grams; Protein: 29.7 grams
Store-bought So-called “Healthy” Pizza:
Nutrition Facts for Kashi Mediterranean Thin Crust Pizza:
Serving Size: 1/2 Pizza (180 g); Total Servings: 2; Calories Per Serving: 435; Fat Calories: 120; Total Fat: 13.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 6 grams; Cholesterol 30 mg; Sodium: 960 mg; Total Carbs: 55.5 grams; Dietary Fiber: 7.5 grams; Protein: 22.5 grams
Crust (Crust Mix With Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Blend [Wheat Gluten, Whole Oat Flour, Oat Fiber, Oat Syrup Solids, Barley Malt Extract, Whole Triticale Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Whole Hard Red Wheat Flour, Whole Rye Flour, Salt, Whole Barley Flour, Whole Buckwheat Flour, Sesame Seeds], Water, Wheat Flour, White Whole Wheat Flour, Ground Flax Seed, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Barley Fiber, Yeast, Wheat Starch, Garlic Powder), Cheese Blend (Mozzarella Cheese [Pasteurized Part-Skim Cow’S Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], White Cheddar Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes, Calcium Chloride], Cheddar Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes, Calcium Chloride, Annatto Color], Asiago Cheese [Pasteurized Part-Skim Cow’S Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Microbial Rennet]), Sauce (Tomatoes [Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Citric Acid], Roasted Red Bell Pepper Pesto [Roasted Red Bell Peppers, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Parmesan Cheese (Pasteurized Part-Skim Cow’S Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Balsamic Vinegar, Basil, Sea Salt, Granulated Garlic, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper], Tomatoes [Tomatoes, Citric Acid], Evaporated Cane Juice Crystals, Salt, Spice, Cornstarch), Spinach, Roasted Red Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Feta Cheese (Pasteurized Cow’S Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Roasted Red Onion, Red Onion.
Store-bought Clearly “Unhealthy” Pizza:
Nutrition Facts for DiGiorno Original Rising Crust Supreme Pizza:
Serving Size: 1/5 Pizza (186 g); Total Servings: 5; Calories Per Serving: 420; Fat Calories: 156; Total Fat: 18 grams; Saturated Fat: 7.2 grams; Cholesterol 48 mg; Sodium: 1212 mg; Total Carbs: 55.5 grams; Dietary Fiber: 3.6 grams; Protein: 19.2 grams
INGREDIENTS: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SHREDDED LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), COOKED SEASONED PIZZA TOPPING (PORK, WATER, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR], SPICES, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, PAPRIKA, PORK FLAVOR [MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PORK FAT, NATURAL FLAVORS, PORK STOCK, GELATIN, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, SUNFLOWER OIL, PROPYL GALLATE], CARAMEL COLOR, SPICE EXTRACTIVES, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID. COOKED IN PORK FAT OR BEEF FAT OR VEGETABLE OIL), TOMATO PASTE, PEPPERONI MADE WITH PORK, CHICKEN AND BEEF (PORK, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, BEEF, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF PORK STOCK, SPICES, DEXTROSE, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, FLAVORING, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID), GREEN BELL PEPPERS, RED BELL PEPPERS, SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEAT GLUTEN, ONIONS, BLACK OLIVES, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR CORN OIL), WHITE CORN MEAL, SALT, YELLOW CORN MEAL, BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), YEAST, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, DATEM, FLAVOR, SPICE, DRIED GARLIC, ASCORBIC ACID.